FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR SERVICES OR SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Call us at (585) 261-7667
Rebuilds, Repairs, Re-pointing and much more...
- Here at East Side Chimney we pride ourselves on our ability to build, rebuild or repair anything masonry. We offer free quotes on any brickwork, stone work, tuck-pointing, chimney crowns, custom hearths, mantles, surrounds, flue tile replacement, firebrick repair and more. Here are some of the most common services in the Rochester area:
- One of the more common problems in this area, the chimney crown is cracked and left unattended which allows water and ice penetration between the flue and the brickwork. Large amounts of ice buildup inside the chimney causes excessive force and cracking/spalling of the brickwork, mortar joints and flue lining.
- Avoid costly repairs, rebuilds and re-lining by installing a new fiber reinforced or concrete crown. All repairs are backed up by our exclusive guarantee.
2482 Edgemere Drive, Rochester, New York, 14612
Clay Flue Liner Replacement
- Another common problem is cracked flue tiles due to super heated expansion or ice damage. It's very important to discontinue use of your chimney if these problems are present as the results can be life threatening. Many illnesses and deaths occur each year due to neglect of cracked flue tiles.
- In many cases the flue liner can be removed and replaced for a fraction of the cost of re-lining with stainless or aluminum chimney liners.
- After years of exposure the mortar that holds your chimney together begins to break down requiring tuck pointing or rebuilding. If there's a company that can repair it right, it's East Side Chimney.
- Old mortar joints are removed and new mortar is colored to match your existing mortar, then it is "tucked" into the joints between the brickwork securing it once again. The brick is cleaned and you're left with a great looking stable chimney.
Custom Cut Fireplace Panels
- Prefabricated fireplace panels often crack due to age, heat and contact. Most factory built fireplace manufacturers require replacement of refractory panels when a dime can be inserted into the crack or when the surface of the refractory panel has abraded more than ¼” from the original surface.
- Refractory panels keep heat from penetrating into the firebox causing damage to the firebox.
- Refractory panels reflect heat, generated from the fire, back into the room.
- Custom panels are available in many different patterns and can transform your old looking, potentially dangerous fireplace into a great looking, safe fireplace.
- Bricks by nature are very porous. They absorb much of the water they are exposed to. Some bricks absorb more than others and older bricks absorb the most. During the winter months moisture freezes and starts to break the brick apart.
- Applying a proper waterproofer is key in preserving your brickwork. We use Chimney Saver because it allows the brick to "breathe" by letting air pass through but will not allow water penetration. It is also guaranteed for a period of 10 years.
Complete and Partial Rebuilds
- As chimneys deteriorate they become unstable and and require a full or partial rebuild to the roof line as pictured on the left.
- Old brickwork is carefully taken down and new brick is chosen and built to the proper height.
- When new roof flashing is needed the shingles are torn off and new metal step flashing is installed and built into the new brickwork.
- When the original flashing is deemed to be in satisfactory condition it is typical to counter flash with new metal over the old flashing as pictured creating a water tight seal between the chimney and roof.
- New clay flue liners are installed and a new concrete, mortar or Conproco crown is poured.
- We feel so confident in our rebuilds that we offer a full 10 year guarantee.
- In many cases a badly damaged brick or cinder block chimney can be coated with masonry material or "parged" for much less money. The result is an attractive, strong, long lasting chimney.
- All loose masonry is removed and the areas which have sustained significant damage are filled with material and left to set up.
- The chimney is now ready for the parge coat. We use a number of different materials for this but the preferred material for most repairs is Structural Skin with K-88 admix. It gives the chimney a tremendous amount of strength, looks great and is waterproof.
- The chimney on the left was thought to be lost and would have cost at least a few thousand to replace to the roof line. We were able to save it and our client paid less than a thousand in doing so. The chimney is standing strong and is currently under a 10 year guarantee.
Cultured Stone Chimneys and Surrounds
- Zero clearance high efficiency fireplaces are becoming more common as manufacturing has almost doubled in the last 10 years driving prices down. The cultured stone manufacturers have decided to follow suit. There are now 100's of different choices on style, color and texture. From big river rock to ledge stone and slate you'll be sure to find a style to match your taste and pairing it with a nice fireplace will add style and value to your home.
- On the left a chase has been built to house the new gas fireplace. Cement board is applied over the framing and, in this case, Owens Corning Pro-Fit Ledge stone was chosen to give it a really nice look. We custom built an entertainment center and wired it for a wide array of lighting and electronics. Custom cherry shelving was built behind and into the stone work and a 4" solid cherry mantle was installed. We capped off the top with a nice slab of granite.
- This versatile material can also be used to go over your existing brick transforming the look of your masonry fireplace.